Monday, January 5, 2009

MmmmMmmm! Monday

During my brief time as a vegetarian I was given a chili recipe from my vegan friend, Lisa. Lisa and I have known each other since the kindergarten days and she has been a vegetarian for as long as I can remember. She became a vegan within the past year when she found out her newborn son was allergic to dairy. Not wanting to pay for formula like they did with their daughter, she instead chose to give up dairy and continue nursing. I am interested to find out when she is done nursing if she will choose to add dairy back into her diet or not.
This chili recipe is vegetarian, but if you can't find it in yourself to give up meat for even one meal then go ahead and substitute turkey or a lean beef in place of the Morningstar meal crumbles. I will say this, though: both my husband and son love this dish and don't even miss the fact it's not "real" meat.
Enjoy!

Vegetarian Chili
2 cans chili beans
1 can petite diced tomatoes
1 small green pepper (finely chopped)
1 small onion (finely chopped)
1/2 package of Morningstar Meal Crumbles (found in frozen foods meatless section)
1 Tbs. minced garlic
Dash of chili powder
Dash of garlic salt
*Optional: Fritos and shredded cheese to top*

1. Saute onion, garlic and green pepper until onions are soft.
2. Add everything else to the same pan (except Fritos and cheese) and cook for 15-20 minutes on low/medium heat.
3. If you desire (which we do in my family!), put shredded cheese on top and serve with Fritos.

It's easy, quick and delicious! We usually have enough for two nights but it will depend on the size of your family and how much everyone eats.

Don't forget to check-in in the comments section!

3 comments:

  1. I did 60 minutes of cardio today and am feeling good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! What are Morningstar Meal Crumbles made out of? Just curious...

    Maybe I'll make this tonight, I'm starting to get sick of meat. Can't wait for the next recipe! I think I want to incorporate at least two vegetarian meals per week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Morningstar meal crumbles are veggie based. They're actually quite tasty. They look like browned ground beef so you can use them in place of a lot of things you would put that in - like mix it in with spaghetti sauce or put it in tacos, lasagna, etc. I usually use a half bag in a recipe to make it go further.

    ReplyDelete