Tuesday, January 13, 2009

Our First Guest Is....

...Daniella!
I (Andrea) met her in this crazy blog land and then back in November we got to meet in person. She is a beautiful young woman, wife and mother of an adorable and already fashionable one-year old daughter. She and a friend run a fashion blog you must check out over at
Lovely Yellow Ribbons Glam Gals.
Have fun reading on!

Can I first just say, Happy New Year!

2009 will be a great year. I feel it in my bones. I wana feel it in my muscles too.

One of my goals (I don't make resolutions because they don't last past the 15th of January) is to start some kind of fitness regime so I can get my bottylicious back. Since having a baby, things just started not only disappearing but also going down. Sometimes I feel like that really skinny, weak old lady.

We all have something to complain about, don't we?

But really, whether it's popping in a Pilates DVD while Charlie naps, or going to the Gym in the evening (don't ask me to do anything else but have a cup of coffee in the morning), something MUST be done.

I've been seriously lazy (and sleep deprived) in 2008. This year I need to step it up. I'm here to share a few lil secrets of how to slowly get in shape by doing small things. Despite my saggy barely-there fanny and disappearing ta-ta's, I am a proud owner of a six pack.

How could that be if I don't work out?

I'm not bragging. Well, maybe a little. Here's the real story. About 8 years ago when I was in college I worked part-time at a local gym. I not only befriended extremely old, yet adorable, folks, wake up at ungodly hours to open the gym, deal with teenage boys putting soap in the outdoor hot tub, and making coffee every half-hour, I also had the benefits of a free membership. So I lived and breathed fitness; lifted weights and did cardio kickboxing. While lifting weights I learned to make sure and keep good form by always contracting my core (to support the back), never slouch, and keep even breathing throughout each exercise, otherwise I'd injure myself and not be doing my body any good.

While I never lifted a single dumbbell past Sophomore year (you do the math), I continued to contract my core. Somehow, even after gaining 15 pounds during Senior year, I kept my abs. I fully believe it's due to always contracting my abs; whether I'm sitting, walking, vacuuming, nursing, cooking, you name it.

Let me make this clear. I didn't suck my gut in, I contracted my muscles as if I'm doing a crunch.
You could also do this with your buttocks. I do it when I remember...which is not very often...which explains its disappearing/sagging act. Add that to the 2009 goal list.

For cardio, I don't do much but run around after Chuck and when I do house work, I choose to do it as if I only have 5 minutes to get it all done. I also mop the floors Cinderella style - on all fours. It sounds silly but I feel sore the next day, which tells me I worked out ever muscle in my upper body, including the hamstrings, quads, shins and calves.

I also think one of these wouldn't hurt. Or maybe Jillian could kick my butt while having some fun.

In an ideal world I'd be able to go to a Pilates or Yoga class every other day. But since I live in a part of the country that would require all of my baby's college savings to pay for such classes, I will stick to squeezing those buns and contract that core while mopping and vacuuming. You may laugh at me now but mark my words, it will pay off if you give it a try.

Did I mention that nothing gives you better calves, helps you stand up straighter, and teach you balance than a pair of stilettos? If that's not a classic trait of a Glam Gal, I don't know what is.

Now I want me another pair of red high heels. I'm salivating over these and might just have to get a pair :-).












If you have a recipe, exercise tips, healthy living advice, etc. that you would like to share in a guest post, please email us at: beyondbottles(at)yahoo(dot)com.
As always, don't forget to check in!

3 comments:

  1. I exercised yesterday - 50 minutes of cardio! I can hardly walk today.~Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jen, I'm jealous. My heart is in so much need of cardio that I can barely make it from the parking lot to the grocery store without my sides hurting. My husband says that's a sign of dehydration. Whatev. I drink coffee and tea - both are LIQUIDS.

    Andrea, it looks like the pics didn't show up. I'll try and email you the post so the HTML code doesn't get distorted.

    ReplyDelete
  3. P.S. How did you get your "Post a Comment" box? Me likee.

    ReplyDelete